As you all know, I fully support Marriage Equality and Gay Rights. With this in mind, please do not take offense over anything you may read in this blog as it is all my opinion and my work.
Today, I was reading through my Facebook News feed and saw so many red profile pictures that it made my heart soar with happiness. My friends are showing their support on the most popular social network on the Internet! Yeah! But I was also angered and saddened by all the hate I saw there too. I instantly wondered, Where did all this hate come from?
Then I remembered; fear controls many emotions. One of the major emotions that comes from fear is hate. Fear makes us do many, many things we may regret in our lives.
1. a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid. Synonyms: foreboding, apprehension, consternation, dismay, dread, terror, fright, panic, horror, trepidation, qualm. Antonyms: courage, security, calm, intrepidity.
2. specific instance of or propensity for such a feeling: an abnormal fear of heights. Synonyms: phobia, aversion; bête noire, bogy, bogey, bugbear. Antonyms: liking, fondness, penchant, predilection.
3. concern or anxiety; solicitude: a fear for someone’s safety.
4. reverential awe, especially toward God: the fear of God. Synonyms: awe, respect, reverence, veneration.
5. something that causes feelings of dread or apprehension; something a person is afraid of: Cancer is a common fear.
We fear the things we do not know. If we do not know something, we fear it. This is part of our fight or flight response and is ingrained in our subconscious mind.
Fear fuels many emotions, both negative and positive. Among those is anger and hate.
If you approached everything in your life with hate because of fear, you would lead a very boring and sheltered life. You would never learn new things and you would never meet new people. In order to meet new people, you have to learn from them and hear their stories.
If you close your ears and your mind and open your mouth to spew judgment, you may be making mistakes out of fear. This fear, homophobia, is starting to become the downfall of our country. I stand corrected; IGNORANCE will be our downfall; Ignorance due to fear and hate.
the state or fact of being ignorant; lack of knowledge, learning, information, etc
As a person, you should endeavor to educate yourself. You should STAND UP and STAND OUT. You should stand up against ignorance and stand up against hate. You need to stand out from the crowd and create your own path and make your own decisions. Teach yourself about everything you want to learn about and never let someone else make your decisions for you. TEACH YOURSELF! Do not fall for another’s ignorance.